Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Week 9- Hosanna, and Follow the Prophet

This week we had to start learning two songs. I wanted the kids to sing in Sacrament meeting for the Easter program so we practiced "Hosanna". (I'll also have them sing "I know that my Savior loves me" for Easter.)
For "Hosanna", every line of the verse ends in an "ing" word: ring, king, sing, and bring. I posted these words with pictures on the chalkboard in a mixed up order. Then I sang a line of the song, leaving out the last word, and had a volunteer pick which "ing" word ends the line best. We did this for all lines of the verse. And now anytime we review the song, I can pull out the pictures of each of the "ing" words to help us sing it correctly. For the chorus, we talked a little about what "Hosanna" means, and then I told them that the chorus is just singing the word "Hosanna" four times.
After they got the basics down, we jazzed it up a little by dividing in half and having one side sing Hosanna, and the other be the echo.

Then we moved on to learning "Follow the Prophet." I read on sugardoodle about someone who uses a little disco inspired dance for the chorus. So I decided this song was going to be all about dancing and doing actions to remember the words. I made a funny, large disco ball to get the kids excited about dancing. This week, the kids learned the chorus, and the first verse.

No comments: