Sunday, July 4, 2010

Week 20-Love is Spoken Here, Families Can Be Together Forever

I wanted the kids to learn these two songs to sing for Father's Day in Sacrament meeting. Love Is Spoken Here and the first verse of Families Can be Together Forever are both in the same key, so we could just go straight from one song to the next with no pause in between.


For Love is Spoken Here, I found an idea online called "What's behind door #1 and door #2?". I would sing to them part of a line from the song, and they had to pick a door and see if the rest of the line was behind that door. The other door had silly endings to the line. Here's what I came up with for the silly endings:
I see my mother kneeling:
1.) With her family each day
2.) As she scrubs the kitchen floor

I hear the words she whispers
1.) when she talks to herself
2.) As she bows her head to pray

Her plea to the Father:
1.) Quiets the neighbor's cat
2.) Quiets all my fears

And I am thankful:
1.) Love is Spoken Here
2.) Toothepaste was invented

Mine is a home:
1.) Where every hour
2.) that Santa Claus visits at Christmas time

Is blessed by the strength
1.) of Lysol disinfecting products
2.) of Priesthood Power

With father and mother
1.) tap dancing on the patio
2.) leading the way

Teaching me how to
1.) chop an onion without crying
2.) trust and obey

And the things they teach are crystal clear
1.) For love is spoken here
2.) because they never stop talking

For Families Can be Together Forever, I found a "repeat parrot" idea for the Junior Primary. I started by showing the kids a picture of a parrot and telling them some cool facts about parrots, emphasizing how they can mimic human sounds and actually repeat things you say. Then I told them I was going to magically turn them into parrots. Once I "transformed" them, I had kids take turns rolling a large dice, to see how many times they had to repeat what I said. Of course, the things I told them to say were lines from the song.


For Senior primary, I figured most of them already knew this song so I wanted to find some silly way we could sing it over and over again. I decided to make a paper family, and the kids would take turns picking a member of the family to sing like. Then that member of the family would be moved in front of the house. Here's how we sang for each of the family members:
Mom-sing the verse super fast (cause moms are always runny around, super busy)
Dad- sing each line twice (because dad's like to repeat themselves)
Teenage sister-insert the word "like" a lot. I made a sign with the word, "like" on it and held it up everytime I wanted them to sing it. It was funny to hear, "I like have a family, like here on earth..."
brother-sing staccoto (cause little boys are always "jumpy" and bouncing off the walls)
baby-sing in a baby/crying voice.

2 comments:

Sally Jackson said...

Love the door idea! I think I'll try that today as I think the kids will love it, too! Thanks for sharing. I pinned to my Pinterest: http://www.pinterest.com/sallyseashell35/boards/

WARNERS said...

Ah, bless you!! I love these ideas! Thank you!