Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Week 15-I Feel My Savior's Love

There's no song assigned for the month of May, however, our primary still had a new song to learn due to an upcoming Hope for Haiti Concert. The Humanitarian Service Committee has decided to do a benefit concert for Haiti. Every church in the area has been invited to attend and participate. I mean EVERY CHURCH, not just LDS churches. I think it's really gonna be something to see! The primary has been asked to sing a song for this event so this week, we learned the first verse and chorus of "I Feel My Savior's Love."

One night, while looking at endless singing time blogs, I came across this idea that I had to steal...Magic Potions! You start out by writing all the words to the song in red, green, yellow, or blue.

Then to set up the potions, you fill four clear cups with about 3/4 cup water and maybe 1/3 cup vinegar (more vinegar=more fun!). Then you place four spoons in front with a different color of food coloring on each.


Then you cover the drops of food coloring with baking soda.

Then you call on someone to choose a spoon and stir the magic potion. It bubbles and fizzes and then, with more stirring, turns red, blue, green, or yellow.





If it turns yellow, all the yellow words are removed and the kids have to sing the song without those words. You continue this with all the colors until no words are left.

For the junior primary, this idea had to be adapted since many cannot read. So I put the words and helpful pictures on different colors of paper. Whichever color appeared in the potion determined which part of the song we would learn first. If the red appeared, we would learn the part of the song on the red paper first, etc.

2 comments:

oculowoman said...

I want to be in Primary with you as my Music Leader. You are awesome!! -Kaelyn

Mike Cazanave said...

Amy, this is amazing. Talk about magnifying a calling! I want to be in your Primary!

Love,Dad